2.01.2012

chocolates and colic

During my pregnancy, I was advised by my OB to refrain from sweets as they are big contributors to both mother's and child's weight gain. So after my OB advised me, I said no to chocolates. I remembered thinking that this no-to-chocolate thing will soon be over once the baby's out. The night of the 6th while I was in labor, I made a list of foods that I want to eat after giving birth (it helped me tune out the pain). After being brought back to my room from the OR, I gave the list and the money to my father. The list included pizza, cake, ice cream, chocolates, chips etc. When the food arrived, much to my dismay, I wasn't allowed to eat yet. I was not even allowed to drink water unless I pass gas. No water, no talk. I watched my family eat all the food I so wanted to eat. A couple of days after the operation, I was finally allowed a soft diet (translation: lugaw). One week after giving birth, my parents brought me some chocolates. I felt so happy to finally be able to eat chocolates after what seem to be forever. But that night, the happiness I felt was short-lived for Von M was up all night crying. Not just crying, but CRYING. A few days after that, I again ate chocolates and again Von M pulled out an all-nighter CRYING. I then suspected that the baby's CRYING was due to the chocolates I ate but then I wasn't sure since the time I ate those chocolates, I also had Coke. From then on, I avoided drinking Coke and eating chocolates. But today, I wasn't able to resist the urge to eat chocolates. No Coke this time. Eating chocolates is one of my simple pleasures but I wouldn't dare eat chocolates again while I'm breastfeeding. It isn't pleasurable at all hearing my precious Von M CRY to his heart's content. Chocolates equal a colicky* Von M. So for now, still NO to CHOCOLATES!

*Colic-a catch-all phrase for uncontrollable crying in an otherwise healthy baby (http://www.babycenter.com.ph/baby/health/colic/)

No comments:

Post a Comment