1.30.2012

baby's finally out

The inggitera in me prompted me to finally update my blog. My friend Wena finally updated her blog after 2 months so I'm being reminded (and inspired) again to do the same.hahaha (gaya-gaya much)

After 9 long months, Von M's finally out via C-section last January 07, 2012 7: 36 A.M. at MMG Coop Hospital. He weighed 8.36 lbs.

Von M has brought us so much joy. But as always, there are 2 sides to every coin. While having him I have to sacrifice some things. These are some things I missed / disliked during my pregnancy:

* I gained a lot. Pre-pregnancy, I only weighed 54kg. Just before giving birth, I weighed 79.3kg.  I wasn't joking when I said that I gained a lot of weight. Imagine, 25.3kg! That is 55.66 lbs., 20 lbs more than the upper limit of the ideal weight gain of women of average weight (Pregnancy and Weight Gain).
 (This is how I looked 3 weeks pregnant)

 (This is how I looked 36 weeks pregnant)

One week after giving birth, I weighed 69 kg (I'm excited to know how much I weigh now--- 3 weeks since giving birth). My goal is to at least return to my pre-pregnancy weight.hahaha

* I disliked drinking all that milk and taking all those supplements but I had no choice. I did it for you Von M.

* I missed my fave foods and drinks (chocolates, ice cream, cakes, soft drinks, frapps etc).

* I missed ukay shopping with friends.

* I hate the sleepless nights when I'd go praning if you're still ok.

But nothing really compares to the experience of giving birth. It was exciting and at the same time scary. I was excited to finally see my son. Scared because I didn't know what would happen. (Von M, this is how it all happened):

At 2 A.M. of the 6th, I went to the CR to pee and Lo! I saw blood on my underwear. I immediately called people to bring me to the hospital as what my OB instructed me to do when there is bloody discharge (or if my water breaks or if interval of contractions is at 5-10 min). Upon arrival at the hospital (at 3 A.M.), the nurses did the usual, blood pressure, temperature etc. Then a doctor came to check the dilation of my cervix. It was only 4 cm. By 8:30 in the morning, with no labor pains yet, they then again checked my cervix' dilation. Still 4cm. By 6 in the evening, the contractions started coming and by 8:30 they again checked and I was still 6 cm dilated. From 8:30 P.M of the 6th to 2 A.M. of the 7th, the contractions became stronger and more painful. But I was advised not to push yet 'cause I was not fully dilated. By 4 A.M of the 7th, I was 8 cm dilated but the contractions somewhat stopped and weren't as painful anymore so they did a trace of my baby's heart rate thru CTG and discovered that my baby was already non-reactive. With the baby at risk, my OB scheduled me for a C-section by 6 A.M. The operation only lasted an hour yet it was scary as hell. I thought I would die. I heard the 'panic' in the OR. I heard them say I was CPD** due to a large baby yet small pelvis. Then they started pushing the baby (but it felt like they were pushing my chest just like in movies where a patient is in cardiac arrest and that made me scared as hell). Then I heard my baby cry and it made me cry. I was so happy that he's finally out and safe. Then again, I heard them say that I had uterine atony***. Though I didn't know yet what that meant, I felt that it was bad news so the happiness I felt a few moments back disappeared into thin air. I prayed really hard that I didn't want to die and leave Von M and J. I remembered thinking that if I survive this ordeal, I would never want to go through this again. And until now, I feel the same. Von M is enough for me. Maybe after a few years, I'd reconsider.


** The accurate definition of cephalopelvic disproportion (CPD) is when a baby's head or body is too large to fit through the mother’s pelvis. It is believed that true CPD is rare, but many cases of “failure to progress” during labor is given a diagnosis of CPD. When an accurate diagnosis of CPD has been made, the safest type of delivery for mother and baby is a cesarean delivery. (http://www.americanpregnancy.org/labornbirth/cephalopelvicdisproportion.html)

*** Uterine atony is a condition in which the muscles of a woman's uterus lose their tone and their ability to contract after childbirth. Severe hemorrhaging and low blood pressure can result, presenting a number of additional health problems. Women who spend several hours in labor, deliver large or multiple babies, or have had several pregnancies in the past are at the highest risk of developing uterine atony. Doctors usually take several precautions to prevent the condition during labor, though complications can still occur. Treatment for uterine atony includes intravenous medications, massage techniques to stimulate contractions, and emergency surgery to stop excessive blood loss. (http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-uterine-atony.htm)









 

2 comments:

  1. Hi ot.Scary and Atony. What the. Di na gyud ko manganak.Don't worry about your weight. Mubalik ra gyud na. Someone as determined as you pa. More updates please. Missing you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scary jud xa ot. maayo gani kay natabang lang ug IV medications kay kung wala pa, i-remove unta toh ako uterus. ug nakabalo pa ko unsa ang atony that time, basin na-heart attack ko sa kahadlok.

      Delete